DevOps Series – Setup Environment using Virtual Machines
What Will I Learn?
- Provision Baremetal Servers from Infrastructure Providers such as OVH
Install Centos 7 Original kernel after disabling RAID
Setup Remote Desktop using GNOME and Tiger VNC Server
- Understand Virtualization tools and Vagrant
- Setup Vagrant on top of KVM with libvirt plugin
- Customize Vagrantfile to launch multiple virtual machines using Ruby
- Basic Computer and Linux Operating System skills
- Laptop with 64 bit Operating System, at least 4 GB RAM
Setting up an environment using Virtual Machines by leveraging Vagrant.
Why OVH and Baremetal Server?
- In most of the enterprises, working professionals might have access to a physical server or powerful virtual machine with hyper virtualization enabled
- To get to that state, I have rented a server from OVH and setup Centos. It also helps professionals who got funding from their employer to learn newer technologies. They can rent the server, setup OS and then go with rest of the steps.
- If you start this course with a server with root access in hand, you can skip some of the topics and directly jump on to setting up Vagrant.
Why Virtual Machines?
- Most of the DevOps tools require multiple servers for hands-on practice.
- Using Virtual Machines is a highly productive way of learning most of the DevOps tools.
- Once you have virtual machines, you can learn many technologies with hands-on experience.
- Server automation tools like – ansible, puppet, chef etc
- Container technologies like Docker
- Orchestrating containers using Kubernetes
- Setting up the environment using OpenStack
- Creating CI/CD pipelines
- Building Hadoop Clusters etc
- One of the challenges of using Virtual Machines is that setting up Virtual Machines and networking them will take time.
- Vagrant provides the capability to add multiple virtual machines as a group.
- It uses the ruby script and we can program quickly and effectively to set up Virtual Machines the way we want.
- Once we learn how to customize Vagrantfile after understanding ruby scripting, we should be able to set up multiple virtual machines in a few minutes.
- 3 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion